Today we are sharing a simple plan for building a small planter box from two cedar boards. It’s easy to build and is something that can be built quickly. In addition to the two cedar boards, all you need is a hammer (or a power nailer), some 5d galvanized nails and a miter saw. Because the planter is made with cedar, it will last for years. And the best part? It costs less than $10 to build.
- Qty 1 – 1″ x 6″ x 6′ cedar fence board
- Qty 1 – 1″ x 2″ x 8′ clear cedar
- Qty 30 – 5d galvanized shake nails (blunt point reduces risk of splitting the wood)
Cut the lumber as shown below:
Step by Step Instructions
- Nail sides to the bottom of the box. When nailing the sides of the box to the bottom, place the box on its side with one of the end pieces placed in the middle for support of the side.
- Slide ends into side/bottom assembly. Leave 1/4″ inset from the ends. Secure with nails through the side of the box (not through the bottom).
- Center top trim and nail into edge of sides and ends.
- Nail feet to bottom into edge of side pieces.
- Drill a couple of drainage holes.
- After the wood has dried for a day or two you can seal it with a deck sealer so the boards last longer.