DIY Project Idea: Log Lounge Chair
If you have a log or two lying around, here’s a project idea for you: build a lounge chair out of logs. For this project you will need a saw for cutting the log and a drill for attaching the logs together. In addition, you will need 1/4” x 6” lag screws, 1/4” x 9” lag screws, and some metal brackets to strengthen the floppy parts of the chair. Note: the hardware should be galvanized so they don’t rust in the rain.
Below are the basic steps to building the lounge chair. You can find more detailed information by clicking the link at the bottom of the page.
1. Cut the log into 18” or longer segments. Note: logs between 3” and 6” in diameter are good sizes to work with.
2. Layout the shape of the chair with tape. Then do a test layout with the cut logs.
3. Countersink the log sections with a 1 1/4” drill bit (1”-2” deep), then use a long 1/4” drill bit to make pilot holes at least 2.5” deep.
4. Attach the logs together with 3 to 4 lag screws for each log.
5. Flip the chair over and use metal brackets to strengthen and stiffen the weak and wobbly areas.
Source and more details: Log Lounger
Return to main blog page »